Azure provides the popular Redis Cache service in all the service plans.
History of Redis Cache
Redis Cache is an Open Source caching framework. Its popularity among developers made Azure adapt it and available to Azure development platform.
Advatages of Redis Cache
Following are the advantages of Redis Cache:
- Highly Scalable Redis Cache can be horizontally scaled based on demand
- Low Latency Improved availability through edge servers makes low latency in calls
- Highly Secure Redis cache provides better security than traditional caches.
- Better Data Structure Redis Cache provides storage of cache as key-value pair as strings, hashes, lists, sets and sorted sets.
- Better Atomicity through Transactions feature
- Persistence Redis Cache allow persisting data into database.
Creating a Redis Cache
Open Azure Portal and choose Create a resource option. Search for Redis Cache and you will get the following option.
In the appearing window we can specify the cache name.
We can use Redis Cache in application as below:
// Open Connection
ConnectionMultiplexer connection = ConnectionMultiplexer.Connect("YOURCACHENAME.redis.cache.windows.net, ssl=true,password=YOURPOASSWORD”);
IDatabase cache = connection.GetDatabase();
// Create Value
// Retrieve Value
string value = cache.StringGet("mykey");
You can get the Access Keys from the Azure Portal window.
In this post we have explored about Redis Cache.